Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Poem ~ An openly Adopted Child's Legacy

I found this poem and wanted to share it with you all. This poem speaks about all the positives about have an open adoption and what can come out of it. It seems like this day in age everyone is so guarded and private and they can not understand how and why we have such an open relationship with our daughters birthmothers. After reading this poem I hope it gives you a better understanding of why we all do this. If you step back and look at the picture ~ it is not just for us or the birthmother it is for these little babies that are involved. We do this for them, so that there will never have to be this blank board, that they will always know where they come from and their questions will always be answered and everyone who is involved will find peace in the decisions that were made for these little blessings!

Once there were two expectant mothers.
One carried and cared for you beneath her beating heart
She became your Birthmother.
The other carried the hope of you within her.
She became your Mom.

As the days passed, and you grew bigger and stronger,
Your Birthmother knew that she could not give you all you needed after your birth.
Meanwhile, your Mom was ready and waiting for you.

One day your Birthmom and your Mom found each other.

They looked into each other’s eyes and saw a friend.
Your Birthmom saw the life your Mom could give you.
Your Mom saw how much your Birthmom loved and cared for you.

They decided that what you needed was both kinds of love in your life.

So now you have two families,
One by birth, the other by adoption.

And you have a home where you can get:
your questions answered,
your boo boos bandaged,
your heartaches soothed,
And much needed hugs.

And a place where you can find:
answers to your questions,
your image in the mirror,
a part of yourself,
And much needed hugs.

Two different kinds of families
Two different kinds of love
Both a part of you.

© Brenda Romanchik

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, this is so beautiful! You know I am sitting here in tears as I read it! Awesome! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it for myself. Where did you find such a beautiful poem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please go ahead and borrow it! I just typed in "adoption poems" and this is one that came right up and I thought that it was perfect and just said everything that is so true!!

    ReplyDelete